Saturday 20 February 2010

Week 6 (15-21 February): Rubrics, Alternative Assessment, and Learning Styles

Dear Sandra, Deborah and George (guest facilitator) and participants,
Some of the participants have expressed the views that with sixth week now the countdown has began and we have started climbing downwards. I do not agree with it. I think with this week, the road to destination is getting tough. It seems we now enter into unknown territory.
Two very useful things I learnt form this weeks tasks. First, MI and learning styles. I believed that there are three types of learners... and Howard has moved quite ahead to identify that there are more than seven types of learners. It was indeed a very good learning lesson.
Secondly, rubric. I undestood first time during the reading of the tasks that rubric is so important. And I am surprised to learn that I was member of several syllabus framing committees, and never ever we talk about rubric is this manner. I would say, more concentration should be give to rubrics. It should be shared with students. You all will be surprised to learn that in our traditional courses, we never share rubric with students. In fact, we do not have such well-framed rubric. Students are playing blind game in their learning and evaluation. Most teachers are also blind to the fact of that there is connection between teaching and evalution.
I have attempted to prepare one rubric and posted on google sites. But I still feel that I need more time to read and think over it.
By and large, the week ended with good learning and introspective exercise. I read Mr. George's comments on nicenet. He was very active through out the week to respond and thus encourage participants to discuss more.
Regards to all,
Dilip (India)

3 comments:

  1. Dear Dilip,

    like you, I do not think that things are going to get any less intense as we are doing the second half, because our eyes have been opened in many new ways and we shall probably try to take more things into consideration in anything we do in future.

    I also like the way you compare lack of awareness to blindness - on teachers' and students' part. Still, we should not be too hard at ourselves - we are not miracle makers, after all.

    In my country, rubrics are not common either (yet). I had intuitively developed some for particular activities in my classes. They would be more effective if they became a part of the 'assessment culture'.

    Best regards,
    Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dilip,
    I have also started to realize that rubric should be shared with learners. Like your country, we never share rubric with the students.You see before our course begin we were given rubric to choose. I agree with the view that most teachers are also blind to the fact of that there is connection between teaching and evaluation.
    Thank you,
    Mahamud
    Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dilip,

    In spite of I posted the countdown had began, I agree with you in the fact we have started climbing our road destination in this new territory; having said this, I was thinking in the deadline of the course, no more.

    You and me agree this week in the things learnt, especially about rubrics. You are right, teachers and students do not know that through rubrics there is an easier way for measuring the teaching learning process, but I am sure we are going to contribute for improving it.

    Best wishes,

    Gaby
    Ecuador

    ReplyDelete