Thursday 14 January 2010

Week 1 (11-17 January): Creating an Academic Blog

Dear Deborah and Sandra,
Dear Partiipants of Online Course on Webskills for Teachers,

I apologize for giving the links of my already existing blogs instead of posting new blog for this course.
It is indeed great idea to create a new blog with a few things in mind. As suggested by Deborah and Sandra, we have to keep in mind what sort of things happen when we are creatign blog for teaching.
Identifying problems helps in preparing theory for 'blogs for teaching'. The followers do not have to 'repeat' the same mistakes we made on our way.
I note down what sort of problems I faced while creating this blog. I am using blogs since long and have created several blogs for my self, my students, friends and relatives. But this time I kept a close watch and identified following problems:
1. Availability of NAME is very crucial. It is always difficult to have name of our own choice. More popular names are never 'available'. One has to go for 'unusual' names. I passed almost half an hour online in selecting a name for the blog and at last has the compromise with the this one. If teacher thinks and discusses several names (more usually, unusual names) before going online. It will help them get better name and need not compromise.
2. Some of the default setting create problem. One is 'enabled transliteration'. I do not know how transliteration was enalbed. What ever I typed was transliterated into Hindi language. I had terrible time during my last workshop teaching teachers how to create blog for teaching. Today, I got some time to resolve the issue. I have to go into 'Setting' and clicked last button 'Enable Transliteration' to disable it.
3. There are old and new version of Edit on blogger. Older one allows to post image and video. The new one (perhaps) does not have easy image and video editing/posting servies. (I need to check it agian to see latest upgradation).

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dilip,

    You've done a good job of reflecting on what you're doing with the blog and how you might use it in your teaching. This is much more reflective than your class/teaching blogs, which is exactly what I'm looking for in your blog for this course.

    Yours,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete